Songwriting Works is recognized as a leader in creativity and innovation in health, education, aging services and community development.
- 2015 Judith-Kate Friedman named a Fellow of the Jubilation Foundation
- 2013 National Endowment for the Arts Challenge America grant supports recording of first Northwest CD, “Life’s A Song.”
- 2012 Judith-Kate Friedman named a Distinguished Fellow of the Global Alliance for Arts and Health (formerly Society for the Arts in Healthcare)
- 2012 inaugural MetLife Foundation/ National Center for Creative Aging Creativity and Aging in America Leadership award, Arts and Wellness category
- 2010 Rosalinde Gilbert Innovations in Alzheimer’s Caregiving Legacy award in the category of Creative Expression.
- 2008 Society for the Arts in Healthcare’s Blair Sadler International Healing Arts Award for ten years of programming at the Jewish Home.
- 2007 MetLife Foundation/ American Society on Aging MindAlert Award for Innovate Programs Enhancing Mental Fitness of Older Adults and joined ASA’s national MindAlert Speaker’s Bureau faculty.
Enhancing Cognitive Fitness in Adults: A Guide to the Use and Development of Community Based Programs, Hartman-Stein and La Rue, eds. Springer, 2011 A wellness-based approach highlighting research and results of a wide range of innovative and promising interventions currently being offered. Includes Judith-Kate Friedman’s book chapter “The Songwriting Works™ Model: Enhancing Brain Health and Fitness through Collaborative Musical Composition and Performance. Read samples on Amazon. Purchase e-chapter through publisher.
The Oxford Handbook of Medical Ethnomusicology, Ben Koen, ed. Oxford University Press, 2008
Researchers and practitioners in music, medicine and culture address biological, psychological, emotional, social, and spiritual domains in this first collected volume establishing the field of medical ethnomusicology. Theresa A. Allison, MD MMusic’s book chapter “Songwriting and Trascending Institutional Boundaries in the Nursing Home” discusses findings from her 9-month study of Songwriting Works.